• Comment on the way characters relate to one another.
• Know which words are essential in a sentence to retain meaning.
• Draw inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions.
• Recognise how commas are used to give more meaning.
• Recognise inverted commas
o pronouns and how used
o collective nouns
• Explain the difference that the precise choice of adjectives and verbs make.
• Use conjunctions (when, so, before, after, while, because).
• Use adverbs (e.g. then, next, soon).
• Use prepositions (e.g. before, after, during, in, because of).
• Experiment with adjectives to create impact.
• Correctly use verbs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person.
• Use perfect form of verbs to mark relationships of time and cause.
• Use inverted commas to punctuate direct speech.
• Group ideas into basic paragraphs.
• Write under headings and sub-headings.
• Write with increasing legibility, consistency and fluency.