• Secure with year group phonic expectations.
• Recognise simple recurring literary language.
• Read ahead to help with fluency and expression.
• Comment on plot, setting & characters in familiar & unfamiliar stories.
• Recount main themes and events.
• Comment on structure of the text.
• Use commas, question marks and exclamation marks to vary expression.
• Read aloud with expression and intonation.
o commas in lists
o apostrophe of omission and possession (singular noun)
• Identify past/present tense and why the writer has used a tense.
• Use content and index to locate information.
• Write different kinds of sentence: statement, question, exclamation, command.
• Use expanded noun phrases to add description and specification.
• Write using subordination (when, if, that, because) and co-ordination (or, and, but).
• Correct and consistent use of present tense & past tense.
• Correct use of verb tenses.
• Write with correct and consistent use of:
o capital letters
o full stops
o question marks
o exclamation marks
• Use commas in a list.
• Use apostrophe to mark omission and singular possession in nouns.
• Write under headings.
• Write lower case letters correct size relative to one another.
• Show evidence of diagonal and horizontal strokes to join handwriting.